Tuesday, December 14, 2010

UFC 124 Post Fight Thoughts

Mark Bocek vs. Dustin Hazelett: Billy and I talked about this fight a little a few months ago when we tried to tape a conversation, and I picked Bocek from the start. Hazelett is flashy on the ground and can catch less talented fighters, but Bocek is much more technically sound. What we saw Saturday was a guy who uses his flashy rubber guard get easily subbed by a guy with sound fundamentals. Bocek calling Sotiropoulos out was weird since he's slated to face Siver in Australia, so I'd give Bocek Oliveira or a rematch with Jim Miller.

Thiago Alves vs. John Howard: Basically and very talented muay thai fighter versus a mediocre muay thai fighter. Alves looked like he was in amazing shape thanks to the Dolce diet and put on one of the best performances of his career. Howard isn't going to be much more then a mid level guy so he can get a new fighter to the UFC to bounce back. As for Alves I say give him another stand up fight and put him in the cage with Dan Hardy.

Mac Danzig vs. Joe Stevenson: Wow who saw that coming? I still want to see both guys go down to 145, but I imagine they'll both stick around at 155. Joe Stevenson vs. Tyson Griffin makes sense as they're both on losing skids but are fairly popular fighters. I'd like to see Danzig take on Terry Etim to see if he's truly turned his career around.

Jim Miller vs. Charles Oliveira: I picked Miller to win, but I certainly did believe that he would tap the young black belt prospect so quickly. Oliveira really impressed me with his off the back offense, but I think he severely underestimated Miller's ground game and thought he'd be able to cruise to an easy win. Big win for Miller and a title shot could be within his grasp if he can manage one more big win against someone like Sean Sherk.

Stefan Struve vs. Sean McCorkle: I could have cared less about this fight. Big tall guy beats up gassed out tall guy. The end.

GSP vs. Josh Koscheck: Holy ass beating Batman. I know people have been giving GSP crap for being too boring and relying on his wrestling too much, but seriously, when did anyone ever think that Koscheck was a better boxer. Koscheck's stand up is mediocre at best thanks to his leaping jabs and predictable overhand right. GSP was a stellar kickboxer to begin with and his time with Freddie Roach has obviously helped his overall game as evidenced by the jab that literally broke Koscheck's face. Aside from Jake Shields GSP has cleaned out the division and I don't think Shields really offers anything that GSP can't handle, especially looking back on the beating GSP put on Jon Fitch (yes I think Fitch is better). Koscheck has a broken orbital bone so he'll be out for awhile, and after GSP embarrasses Shields I think it'll be time for him to make the move to 185.

No comments:

Post a Comment