Thursday, September 30, 2010

Quick UFC 119 Thoughts and WEC 51 Predictions

Due to a friend's birthday celebration I was unable to catch UFC 119 live last Saturday. I did, however, order the fights the next day so that I could be sure to see all the fights with ease and in HD quality. I had managed to stay away from results and other reports, so I went into the event completely unspoiled. After watching I really wish I had read up on the fights beforehand so that I could just try and find the fights online rather than shell out the money for the PPV. The event had its moments, but some of the fights that I had high hopes for didn't really deliver.

UFC 119

Stephens vs. Guillard: This fight played out a lot like I expected with Guillard using his speed and accuracy to get in and out. Stephens threw his usual wild haymakers, but never really connected with a good solid shot. Melvin didn't engage as much as I thought he would, and Stephens didn't utilize the leg kick enough despite the success he was having with it. Not the barnburner many expected, but a good win for Guillard. Fights with Cole Miller or Evan Dunham would be good. As for Stephens I'd like to see him fight Duane Ludwig or Ross Pearson.

Dunham vs. Sherk: Definitely my pick for Fight of the Night, but also disappointment of the night thanks to the bogus decision. I gave Sherk the first thanks to the takedowns and vicious cut he put over Dunham's eye, but I gave Dunham the 2nd and 3rd. Dunham defended the takedown well (or got up quickly when he was taken down), had several deep submission attempts, and absolutely battered Sherk on the feet. I was impressed with Sherk, though, considering how long he's been away from the cage. Dunham won't be hurt too much by the loss, and as I stated earlier I'd like to see him fight Guillard or maybe Kurt Pellegrino.

Serra vs. Lytle: While I'm sure this was entertaining to some people, but I didn't see it as much more than a sloppy kickboxing match. This was definitely a much better fight than the first, though, and really showed how tough Matt Serra is. Lytle controlled much of the fight with his boxing and really took it to Serra all three rounds. I think a Serra/Marcus Davis fight makes a lot of sense, and would be a good fight for two guys looking to rebounded from losses. As for Lytle I'd like to see him take a jump in competition and maybe take on Thiago Alves in a rematch, or maybe Mike Swick.

Bader vs. Little Nog: Once again Little Nog showed that wrestling is a weakness in his skill set. He did show good takedown defense at times and clipped Bader a couple times, but Bader controlled most of the fight with his takedowns and ground and pound. Nog really needs to bounce back to show he deserves to be in the UFC, so fights Rich Franklin and Forrest Griffin could be ways to go. As for Bader, he could get Jon Jones next, but to preserve both stars I think Bader vs. Forrest Griffin is a good way to go.

Cro Cop vs. Mir: I don't have much to say here considering how much of a dud this fight turned out to be. Neither guy looked impressive and the win doesn't really do anything for anybody. Cro Cop doesn't look motivated despite what he says, so if he wants to keep fighting then maybe a fight with Gilbert Yvel or Ben Rothwell could be the way to go. As for Mir, I think a fight with Roy Nelson makes sense considering how Nelson submitted him in a grappling match.

WEC 51

Leonard Garcia vs. Mark Hominick: I say Hominick by decision. Garcia will through his usual wild haymakers and look for a KO, but I think Hominick will be more technical and pick Garcia apart.

Chang Sung Jung vs. George Roop: I'll take the Korean Zombie by TKO. Roop will have a significant reach advantage but Jung can take so much punishment which leads to longer fights which leads to more opportunities for Roop to get dropped.

Miguel Torres vs. Charlie Valencia: This is an attempt to resurrect Torres, and I think he'll take a win via TKO here. Torres has been spending time at TriStar in Montreal and I think that will help him immensely.

Donald Cerrone vs. Jamie Varner: Tough fight for me to call. I don't really care for either guy, but I think Cerrone is the better fighter if he doesn't start of so slow. I'll take a stab at a pick and say Cerrone by submission.

Jose Aldo vs. Manny Gamburyan: Aldo by TKO. Aldo has already won fights against better fighters and I think he takes the easy W here.

2 comments:

  1. I like your idea with Nelson fighting Mir next. I hope Torres can get back on track and I don't know why so many people are hating on Cerrone in this fight. Besides his take down defense being awful I think he has the tools to win. Not even goin to comment on the main event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What the hell, it's 9:04 and I am watching The Las Vegas Locomotives and the Florida Tuskers finish a UFL game. Garcia might have already thrown 68 punches by now...

    ReplyDelete