Thursday, August 19, 2010

Post Fight Thoughts: WEC 50 Edition

First off, I have to commend the WEC for putting on yet another exciting card with great match making that has continually led to close and ultra competitive fights. I started off well with my predictions, but then I hit a skid and went 2 for 5 (hey Ariel Helwani picked Roller too so I don't feel too bad about it).

Bart Palaszewski vs. Zach Micklewright: In my predictions I was a little critical of Bart's striking, but he really proved me wrong last night. He put together some really nice combinations and displayed some quick head movement that I had not seen him utilize in past fights. He also kept himself out of dangerous exchanges and backed off when Micklewright connected or when he was getting backed up against the case. Micklewright just looked like he was a step or two behind Bartimus the entire fight and was eventually finished off in the 2nd round. Micklewright looked like he was a little upset by the stoppage, but he looked out of it before a crazy flurry and then a final right hand that dropped him to the mat. Great win for Bartimus. That's 4 in row for Bart, so I'd like to see him take a step up in competition and maybe face Shane Roller or the loser of Varner/Cerrone.

Scott Jorgensen vs. Brad Pickett: In the predictions I stated that I thought Jorgensen's wrestling would be the difference in the fight, and it definitely was, I just didn't think the fight would be that close (despite what the judges thought). The first round went to Pickett in my opinion as he got the better of the exchanges for the most part and got up quickly from Jorgensen's takedown. The second and third rounds were Jorgensen's as he wobbled Pickett with a couple counters and worked takedowns, some really nice elbows from Pickett's guard, and a couple passes to side control. Jorgensen looks like he's next in like for title shot at 135 against Cruz, and while I think Cruz is the better striker, Jorgensen's wrestling and GnP could be a real difference maker. Tough loss for Pickett, but he stayed tough the entire fight and even put his mouth guard back in while he was getting punched in the face. Tough guy who gained a lot of fans with that performance last night.

Cub Swanson vs. Chad Mendes: Well now that I've seen Mendes fight and seen his fighting style I know not to write him off so quickly now. Not a whole lot to comment on here as Mendes took Swanson down with ease, held on to top control, and earned a decision win. Not the most exciting fight in the world but it was a good win for Mendes. If he can add some submissions and GnP to his skill set he'll be a real tough guy to beat. His stand up was OK, but he kind of looked like Sean Sherk with his muscular build and short arms. Swanson should seriously ask that his fights not be televised due to the fact that when they are ... he loses.

Anthony Pettis vs. Shane Roller: Wow, this was one hell of a performance from Pettis. I realize that he got submission of the night, but it's fights like these that make me wish there was performance of the night bonus to go to a single fighter. Pettis threw some wild kicks that really rocked Roller, showed some amazing takedown defense, and showed even better escapes when Roller did manages to get him to the ground. The reversal in the 2nd round where Pettis used the cage to roll out of Roller's mount was a thing of beauty and showed great awareness. Any other time it looked like Roller might work a submission Pettis would escape with ease ... just great great stuff. Roller really landed some good right hands on Pettis, but he didn't have much success with takedowns and couldn't get anything done on the mat. On top of all that he was giving up more triangle than Chael Sonnen. Great win and performance from Pettis, and I hope he gets the next shot at the 155 belt.

Dominick Cruz vs. Joe Benavidez: Once again I went with my gut instead of my head and my gut was wrong again. All in all it was a good, close fight that has really had a bunch of MMA sites turn out really different scores. I scored it 48-47 Benavidez based on the fact that I didn't think Cruz's attempts to steal rounds with last minute takedowns made up for the fact that Joe B. was putting together some really nice counter strikes that wobbled Cruz on a couple of occasions. FightMetric had Cruz winning all five rounds, but I think the fight appeared to be a lot closer, especially with Joe B. landing the harder shots. All in all it was a good fight and I was not surprised or angered that Cruz was awarded the decision. If you're going to beat a champ you better do it decisively.

On a slightly unrelated note, I would just like to say thank you to everyone who has been visiting the blog. The blog got like 30 hits last night which is around 3 times what I have been getting on a daily basis. I encourage everyone to keep coming back, follow the blog, and leave comments. Again, thank you for all the support.

2 comments:

  1. Cruz v Benavidez: awesome fight. Benavidez was a lot more tactical and patient. He even stopped the dreaded knee tap in the first round that was his demise in the first fight. Cruz just has non stop foot movement and moved in with punches, clinched and kneed to do some damage. 135 is exciting now and I bet Faber is lookin at some revenge for his buddy Benavidez. Everyone just better hope Aldo does not decide to lose 10 pounds.

    Anthony Njokuani can "S" a "D". He got what he deserved and should stick to kickboxing if he wants to complain. He and Josh Neer fail to realize what the sport of MMA consists of.

    Mackens Semerzier aka Les "Stroud" surprised me in that first round. Vasquez is a dude that has beaten Eddie Bravo in a couple of competitions and has a very offensive top game. It turned out he just needed his back to finish a sub. Mackens has some potential but pink shorts Showtime is victorious today.

    Alright, too much typing. I need an oxygen can.

    ReplyDelete